Chocolate Cupcakes Recipe
With Caramel Frosting and Nuts
Seems I’ve suddenly got a dessert fetish. One dessert after another is coming out of the Archibald factory here in the Philippines, but again, I’ve had to use my neighbours’ cooker to generate the product. And once again, I have, in return, given away most of my lovely chocolate cupcakes as a way of saying “thank you”.
I’ve never made cupcakes before, and these, somewhat surprisingly, came out really good. Well, okay, this was my second attempt because the first attempt was not overly successful. Yes, the taste was scrumptious, but the look was lacking. Non-photogenic, even though they were gorgeous to eat! I certainly do have my fair share of failures, even though it would appear to be otherwise with my postings on this website.
Failure in cooking is the same as with any other pursuit in life however – it’s not really failure as such, it’s merely part of the over-all learning process.
Enough of the philosophical chit-chat. What about the ingredients and the cooking process?
- Ingredients for Cupcakes
- ¾ cup white sugar (can use Splenda instead)
- 2 tbsp grape or black cherry jelly (best added while at room temp)
- 1½ cups mayonnaise
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Ingredients for Frosting
- ⅓ cup half-and-half cream (can use whipping cream instead)
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- ¾ cup packed brown sugar
- 1½ cups confectioners’ sugar
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup nuts of your choice
- Oven – preheat to 350 F (175 C).
- muffin cups – either grease or line with paper baking cups.
- In a large bowl, firstly sift then stir together the white sugar, flour, cocoa, and baking soda.
- In the center of the mix create a well and add grape jelly (jelly should be at room temp to avoid any possibility of “chunking”), water, mayonnaise, and 1 tsp vanilla extract. Blend together.
- Divide the batter into the cups.
- Place in oven and bake for 18 to 20 mins, or until tops spring back when pressed lightly.
- Place cupcakes on wire rack to cool.
- While cooling, make the frosting by combining the half-and-half, butter, and brown sugar in medium-sized saucepan. Stir frequently while bringing to the boil.
- Remove from heat and combine confectioners’ sugar with ½ tsp vanilla extract.
- Place pan over bowl of chilled water and thoroughly whisk or beat with electric mixer until nicely fluffy.
- Once cupcakes cooled, arrange on serving platter and add frosting with nuts of your own preference.
You may also enjoy shrimp fettuccine…