Vegetable Curry Recipe –
Vegetarian Curry Recipe
I love curry – it’s not only the taste but the aroma. Sure, oftentimes, the dish doesn’t look like much, but once you sit down to the dinner table, it’s a whole different matter – heaven on a plate!
Not sure about you, but I don’t tend to make many mistakes with my currys. I’m not saying that to be blaze or something. I guess it’s more a case of practice makes you better and better. I tend to make simplistic curries on a very regular basis, more often than not with noodles rather than potatoes or a rice base, at least since I relocated from the UK some years ago.
I guess if using noodles it’s not a true curry. Well, in that case, I’m referring to curry sauce as opposed to “curry”.
This time around I decided to opt for a much more complex dish than my daily noodle-type currys. No, it’s not difficult to make, but there are far more ingredients involved than my usual very simple affairs. And I was hoping it would look pretty decent too. No point writing about your cooking adventures if your cooking never turns out to look good.
You can also use a crock pot for your veggie curry recipe, but here I decided to use a Dutch oven because it’s fast and I was hungry. Well, I became hungry as soon as I began to smell the aroma of the curry around the house!
I best also mention that I’ve indulged myself on the spices. I figure a curry should taste reasonably strong, but if you prefer otherwise, then simply cut down on the spices. Plus, if I’m cooking for myself, I over-indulge on the chili. I mean those little teeny really, really HOT chilis which are called chili padi in this part of the world. I’ve omitted those from this recipe however.
Furthermore, always feel more than free to swap some stuff around. I mean, each to their own, and no one recipe is ever written in stone.
Let’s delve into the recipe and the directions…
- 10oz spinach
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cubed
- 4 medium okra, chopped
- 2 zucchini, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- ½ small cauliflower, chopped
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tsp ground turmeric
- 2 tbsp curry powder
- 1 tbsp corriander
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¾ tbsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 (15 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained
- ¼ cup blanched almonds
- 1 cup orange juice
- In a large Dutch oven place sweet potato and carrots with three tbsp olive oil.
Saute over medium heat for 6 mins.
- Add okra, cauliflower, peppers, onion, and further 1 tbsp oil. Saute over medium heat for further 5 minutes.
- In a medium saucepan place 2 tbsp olive oil, garlic, turmeric, curry powder, corriander, cayenne, cinnamon, salt and pepper and saute over medium heat for 3 minutes.
- Pour garlic and spice mixture into the Dutch oven with vegetables in it. Add the garbanzo beans, almonds, zucchini, and orange juice. Simmer 20 minutes, covered.
- Add spinach to pot and cook for 5 more minutes.
- Serve over cous cous or rice of your choosing.